Hair extensions look great on runway looks, but they are often not as durable as you would like. The fine hairs that are used to weave the extensions into the gels or wigs are often damaged due to improper application and handling. The damage to hair is worsened when the extensions are repeatedly used to cover uneven hair lengths.
Extensions are a fantastic way to add volume and length to your hair, but they can also be the cause of hair breakage. Not only does hair breakage expose your hair to more damage, but you also have to deal with the stress of having to manage damaged hair. Hair extensions are not a magic pill; there are things you can do and tips you need to know in order to make them last longer and look better.
Hair extensions are great, but if you don’t take good care of them, this part of your beauty routine can get very expensive and cost you a lot of money. These pro tips will help you get the most out of your bundles. The hair care formula – style it and forget it until the next wash – doesn’t work if you wear extensions or wigs. Without proper care, you could end up with tangles, dull locks or worse, permanent damage to your human hair. We want you to keep your edges and not lose them. Here are 15 tips to keep your wig (no pun intended) straight and sleek forever:
- Use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners for your human hair wigs, especially after coloring. Dyed wigs should always be carefully conditioned during washing to retain color and moisture and maintain their luxurious appearance.
- Wash and condition long hair at least once every two weeks and at least once a month. Excessive washing can cause the setting to loosen and not provide lasting comfort. If you wear a wig, you should wash and care for your hair underneath it at least every two weeks, and a spray bottle is your best friend.
- Extensions require special care because no oil circulates in the hair shaft, which means dry hair. Hairstylist and wig goddess Kim Kimble tells Allure magazine. Always use products that are moisturizing and gentle on your hair.
- It is best to let your wig and/or extensions air dry to prevent them from becoming brittle and breaking. If you must use a hairdryer, use the lowest setting to avoid burning the locks.
- Put a small amount of shampoo for colour treated hair in your hand and distribute it evenly and gently through the hair, from root to tip, in a downward motion.
- Rinse your hair with cold water to prevent dryness and frizz.
- Be careful when handling wigs, as they become fragile after dyeing.
- If you dye your hair, you can protect the ends of the dye by applying styling gel to the ends until they are completely covered. Dry the gel in a cold state with a hair dryer or let it sit overnight.
- If you brush the wig while it is still wet, it will curl.
- The best way to sleep with extensions is to wrap your hair in silk or sleep on a silk pillowcase to prevent drying out, or try wrapping a silk scarf around your head to keep your hair from hanging down.
- Preparation includes brushing out knots and tangles with a wig brush (not a comb!) from the base of the wig upwards. DO NOT brush the wig when wet.
- For synthetic hair, a rake comb works wonders on the fibers because synthetic hair is like Velcro. It tends to stick together. So if you have a tool that allows you to comb your hair without pulling it or pulling it out, this is the best option. We love the Felicia Leatherwood detangling brush.
- Use a conditioner before styling your hair. This helps detangle your wig, enhances curls and waves, and adds shine. Mix a detangling product such as Pantene Gold Series Leave-In Detangling Milk with water in a spray bottle, apply and style as desired. Says hairdresser Kia Wright.
- Never sleep with wet extension cords.
- Don’t be lazy, your hair and your bank account depend on you.
Extension careWig care
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make my extensions last longer?
Extensions are a great way to take your look from day to night, but you need to take care of them if you want them to last. Each extension is made with a specific hair type, and will pull and break at different rates if left to their own devices. Some of the most common reasons extensions break are because they are not cared for properly. Today the world of hair extensions is a whole lot different from the days when they were just extensions. Of course, it’s been a long time since they were just extensions. The industry has changed, and all the hair extension techniques have been updated and perfected. We have options and styles that would make your hair extensions look equally as good as real hair. We have options and styles that would make your hair extensions last for months, or even years.
How do you take care of hair extensions?
We know that hair extensions are a delicate thing to manage and take care of, especially since many people have to put them up and take them down on a daily basis. But caring for your extensions is not as hard as you think; here are some easy tips that make a world of difference. If you want to maintain hair extensions, you have to consistently do the right things for them. Hair extensions are very delicate, so proper care is extremely important. Here are 15 must-do tips so you can have healthy and beautiful hair extensions that look good for a longer period of time.
How do you keep hair extensions looking healthy?
Hair extensions can be very expensive. With a price tag of $300, a human hair extension could be worth hundreds of dollars. So, how do you keep your extensions looking as good as they did when you first put them in? What steps can you take to ensure they last as long as possible? Do you wear extensions? If so, do you wash them regularly? If not, why not? If you do wash them, do you remove the extensions or just soak them? How do you treat knots and tangles when washing? Do you condition them while wet? What do you do with your hair when it dries?
how to care for bonded hair extensionshair extension hair care tipsbest products for hair extensions 2020hair extension care and maintenancehow to care for hair extensions clip inhow to wash hair with extensions sewn in,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,how to care for bonded hair extensions,tape in hair extension placement diagram,hair extension hair care tips,best products for hair extensions 2020,hair extension care and maintenance,how to care for hair extensions clip in,how to wash hair with extensions sewn in,hair care tips for extensions